Monday, March 7, 2011

Marking time...

Build ingredients so far (read text for details)

  • Blazeland arms
  • Sway Away torsion bars
  • Black Magic coil springs for rear
  • TreadWright 285s in a GoodYear MT clone tread

Like all buildups, these things ebb and flow. I've been in an ebb, mostly because of work constraints.

The first challenge of building a 4x4 is where to start. I find that building for the terrain you'll run most of the time seems to be the best approach.

We did the Pinyon Canyon run last weekend, and I learned a lot about the terrain out here and what I wanted.


The 4Runner did as well, fully aired up, as a 2010 Wrangler did aired down. But it was far less capable than my last two trucks. As it should be, it's stock!

I've been researching what to do for lift on the truck. I want 37s badly. But, it turns out, not badly enough to do a SAS (Solid [front] Axle Swap). In researching options, I ran across 4Wheel Underground's bracket kit for a 3-link front end. It looks very interesting and if I was doing a SAS, I think that's what I'd go with. The guys at FROR/Diamond turned me onto them.


After doing a bit more research, I decided I really wanted to try the LT IFS route. I have a feeling I'll tub the fronts fenderwells at some point so I can run 35s. But that's a ways away, and quite a few $$ too. While AxleIke runs 35s on Morph with just a balljoint lift (it's also had some serious surgery),  I don't expect to be able to use the same tricks in a long travel implementation.

To solve my long travel angst, I priced out the Total Chaos and the JD Fabrication setups. Both very cool. Both a bit pricey for my budget right now.

Another option is the Blazeland kit. It's been getting good reviews, and I figure it probably compares well to the TC balljoint kit - but at a much lower price.

Last week, I bit the bullet and picked up a set of Blazeland arms and Sway Away torsion bars. $400 for OE balljoints makes this lift a bit pricier, but still cheaper than the other options by a lot.

I was also trying to figure out what to do with the rear. Blocks are out if at all possible. And if I'm going to spend some real $$, then I want the Deavers. Except I need to spend that $$ elsewhere right now.

Then I remembered the ZUK spring mod. Zuk turned me onto this thread where the fellow replaces his 4" lift blocks and maintains his 4" lifted height. While he still doesn't sit level, the important part is he replaced 4" lift blocks with springs and actually gained 1/2", and the ride got a heck of a lot better.

Now all that's left is to order shocks and brake lines - and figure out what to do with the LSPV valve (rear braking load adjusting valve. See thread above for his experience with this important valve).

All that was left was tires. And man, are they ever expensive nowadays! Which led me to Treadwright and their 285/75R16 Guard Dog M/T, a Goodyear MT/R clone. Sorta. They retread tires, and I can specify what brand casing I want (not necessarily the model, however).

I was not able to find any bad reviews for the tire. For the $$, compared to new, I couldn't pass them up. I called and doublechecked, and was told that the casing's speed ratings are retained. The only gotcha is the warranty is null and void if you air them down. Like if you're wheeling. I'm willing to give 'em a shot for the $$ difference, especially given the lack of negative reviews.

Stay tuned as I keep sorting out what's next!

No comments:

Post a Comment